As some of you may have read, the current AHCN effort in Nepal is comprised of three phases: 1) documenting the health care needs of rural Nepal, 2) conducting rigorous in-field medical, biomedical engineering and public health research 3) providing sustainable solutions for rural health care services and financing hereof in regions of interest.
Of these, our project in Rukum makes up the first phase. In the following days we will post about from our work in Rukum. This first post is a collection of photos of getting from Kathmandu to Rukum. This took three days as we had several stops on the way: the first day we visited Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital and agreed to collaborate in this project and in the future. The second day we visited the Nepal Youth Foundation nutrition centre in Dang and that night we would arrive in Musikot/Jumlikhalanga, the administrative centre of Rukum.
Before we start writing about our actual work, we wish to present out team. Hereby short profiles on each member of the in-field team that conducted phase one of our project:
Dr. Justin Jung Malla, M.B.B.S, Licensed Doctor: N.M.C no. 11941. Position at AHCN: Founder and Field Clinical Expert.
- Emergency Dept. Besi Sahar Hospital, Lamjung, Nepal (6 months)
- Emergency Dept. Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital, Chitwan Nepal (6 months)
- Emergency Dept. Norvic International Hospital Nepal (14 months)
Dr. Saujan Shrestha (M.B.B.S), Licensed Doctor: N.M.C-no.12162. Position at AHCN: Field Clinical Expert.
- Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital, Emergency Department , Chitwan, Nepal (6 months)
- Neuro Cardio Multi-speciality Hospital, Biratnagar, Nepal (6 months)
- Emergency dept. and General medicine dept., Biratnagar Hospital Pvt. Ltd. Biratnagar, Nepal (14 months)
Mr. Rajkumar Silwal, MBA graduate from University of West London with great enthusiasm to support and improve health care in rural Nepal. Good management skills with a combination of leadership, communication, strategic planning and effective decision-making attributes. Experienced semi-professional photographer.
Position at AHCN: Director of Finance and Administration. Photographer.
Mr. David Kovacs, B.Sc of Biomedical Engineering from the Technical University of Denmark and University of Copenhagen. Position at AHCN: Founder and President.
- President of Engineering World Health at the Technical University of Denmark (10 months)
- DUKE-EWH Summer Institute in Tanzania 2014 participant (2 months)
- Volunteer at Chitwan Medical College Teaching Hospital (4 months)
- Research Assistant at Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital (12 months)
- Accepted as On the Ground Assistant at EWH Gutatemala Winter Institute 2014/2015 (to be 1 month)
The following gallery is a collection of pictures of our team on our way to Rukum.
Before we got our jeep
On the way we would visit several hospitls, which I was busy arraging.
Dr. Justin Jung Malla
Dr. Sajan Shestha
Considering which will be the best way to proceed from the southern Terai area to Rukum in North Western Nepal.
A classic Neapli roadstop
Another classic Nepali Roadstop
Our photographer, Mr. Rajkumar
The AHCN team with driver